Monday, January 13, 2014

Roses & Toes

The title reminds me if a poem I knew as a little girl about mud. 

Mud is very nice to feel,
All squishy-squash between the toes!
I'd rather wade in wiggly mud,
Than smell a yellow rose. 
Nobody else but the rose bush knows-
How nice mud feels between the toes!!

I've no idea who wrote it but it was in a book of poems my aunt Clare sent me and I've always remembered it. The other poem I remember is The Swing by Robert Louis Stevenson.

How would you like to go up in a swing?
Up in the air so blue. 
Oh I do think it the pleasantest thing, ever a child could do!
Up in the air and over the wall, til I can see so wide,
Rivers and trees and cattle and all over the countryside. 
Til I look down on the garden green down on the roof so brown,
Up in the air I go flying again, 
Up in the air and down!!

I still have the book-it's one of Ingrid's favourites, I think she was reading it in bed tonight.

Anyway, back to the roses...

Summer has finally come. It was in the thirties today!! Woo hoo. It seems as though everything flowering late this year, which gives me hope for my tomatoes... Our roses are out in force and I thought I would share some photos. 
Pink:
Yellow:
And orange. 
We also have a huge abundance of white iceberg roses, but the colour of these is pretty special don't you think? This year we also got a couple of wisteria flowers which smell divine-nicer than the jasmin!
In other news, Rupert discovered he has toes today. I was lucky enough to capture this moment:
A bit fuzzy, but you get the picture!


No comments:

Post a Comment