Sunday, May 4, 2014

][ if you could live anywhere.... ][


You may have read my autumn post. I talked about the challenges of young children with asthma when the weather turns. Little Arthur, not yet 2 has been sick since that post. That's 5 weeks of struggling for breath. Have you ever tried breathing through a straw? That's what it feels like. 
He is on the maximum amount of steroids, 2 hourly ventolin, nebulisers at bed time. We've seen the gp numerous times, the last trip resulted in a course of antibiotics in case it's a chest infection. It's not. 
He's not acute enough for a hospital visit (yet) but you can feel the mucous on his chest when you rub his back. The slightest exposure to wind or cold air and he goes down hill rapidly. He coughs all night. I'm sleeping on the couch outside his room just in case I sleep through an attack. We've spent the school holidays housebound. 
Arthur's 6 year old brother also has asthma. His is more acute, we need the ambulance here in 10, or it's curtains. George has only ever had attacks in winter. They both go off all medication over summer - save for the odd bit of ventolin if they catch a virus. And little Rupert, only 7 months old was hospitalised twice for bronchiolitis before he was 8 weeks old. The doctors call it bronchiolitis before the kids are old enough to be formally diagnosed with asthma. Ingrid is fine. Not a wheeze in sight. 
The only thing left to try for Arthur is to remove his triggers. Only I'm not a weather god. So now it is time to consider a move to warmer climes. We are so lucky, that while Mr TBT is away at work we have an amazing network of family and friends who drop everything and come round to care for the other 3 healthy children. The thought of leaving that help is more than a little daunting, however we're hoping the warmer weather will mean healthier children. 
We are lucky that because Mr TBT is a FIFO worker we can pretty much live anywhere on the east coast, preferably within hitting distance of an airport though. 
We need a hospital nearby, good schooling (I'm in love with the kids school. Education is going to be a sticking point), and a good community feeling. Oh, and they're allergic to mould. So Weipa is probably off the list (at least in the wet season). Country of beach - or both?
I find the idea of choosing somewhere off the map a little surreal. It's not like we have to be anywhere for work reasons. So, how do you choose where you belong?
At the moment I feel part of something. Part of a community. I have awesome taste in friends. Tassie has good food, great wine, affordable housing and crap weather. 
So, where would you live, if you could live anywhere? Why?

4 comments:

  1. Oh! I wish I could give you a big hug!! Well, I suppose I would suggest taking some time off together, getting into a caravan or camper and driving north until you find somewhere where your heart sings. Having moved cities before, I can say that yes, it takes a fair bit of work to make new friends and become part of a community, but the work pays off in the most amazing ways. People you never knew would be part of your life become an unexpected part of your family. You're lucky - you have kids and they seem to be the key into communities and new found friends. :)
    I could see you on the NSW South Coast - around Bega/Tathra or Berry - where it is beautiful and the people are lovely, friendly and relaxed. Or, around Byron Bay/Lennox Heads. Again - absolutely beautiful and relaxed. There are a heap more services on the Coast north of Sydney, compared to south of Sydney. But, really, that may not be an issue, given you're accustom to smaller town living.
    The Sunshine Coast is a great place to live. But, then mould may be a problem due to the humidity. You're probably fine on the Coast but less so in the hinterland. Everything goes mouldy in the hinterland.
    It's probably hard to see it, but it could be an amazingly opportunity for adventure.
    Big hugs! Heike x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh the lovely Heike! Thank you. You are a gem. We've moved HEAPS. I've always loved a move and spontaneity and as a result we have lovely friends spread from Hobart to Brisbane. I guess I'm a little tired of moving, and the kids are sooo settled... Despite being unwell! Kids are resilient though. I love the idea of the South Coast but I've hit a bit of a snag with transport to get Mr Bettie and his things to work in Qld. I still love the north coast and the train to Robina helps with the airport run. Good point about mould on the Sunny Coast hinterland. Pity. It's a bit nice. I'll keep glued to your blog in case I somewhere catches my eye. I second the caravan thing. As log as we stay in hitting distance of a hospital while Sam is away. I wonder what our new au pair thinks of camping...she's due here in July!! Xx

      Delete
  2. A change of scenery can make all the difference with asthma - My sister and I had it pretty bad (more chronic than acute like your poor little boys!) we moved to Orange from Wagga Wagga when we were 7 and it made a huge difference, only the occasional need for the nebuliser! Orange is quite lovely but it does get chilly in winter! I agree with Heike the sunshine coast is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth and thanks for sharing your experiences. I hope we get an improvement.... Where ever we are...

      Delete